Thursday, August 16, 2007

Law and Order: Scrabble Victims Unit

I know I haven't posted in a long time, but I guess it took an extra special amount of serendipity to get me to post today. I received the following phone call yesterday afternoon while waiting for a meeting:

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hello, I'm calling from the Pittsburgh area, is this the emergency number for Scrabble?
Me: Umm...
Caller: You know, like the board game. I found a couple of phone numbers on the internet listed as the emergency contacts for Scrabble, but it was odd because they're residential numbers. Do you know anything about this?
Me: Nope...
Caller: Yeah, neither did the other person. Thanks anyway, though.

This would have been funny enough as it is, but this morning I read Jan's blog, and found out that she received the exact same call. The answer to this mystery can be found in the following page that we gave out as the reference packet for the 2004 Section Leader Game, which just happened to have a board game theme. As best as I can figure, our mystery caller probably had a Scrabble rules dispute on her hands and went to the internets to solve it. She found our reference packet and had no idea what the SL Game is and thought that our emergency contact numbers were for the boardgames listed.

Bonus points to anyone who can find a set of reasonable Scrabble rules search terms that bring our reference into the top 10 results on Google...

3 comments:

lahosken said...

I just nominated the Scrabble Emergency Craigslist post for "best of Craigslist".

Dale Neal said...

Yeah, I saw that page that when I did a search for [scrabble emergency] to try and get my own bonus points. I rated it similarly... =)

Brendan said...

All I could think of when I saw this post was "If that were a show, Dale Neal would play the prosecutor"